Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <richard(at)levitte(dot)org>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, monotone-devel(at)nongnu(dot)org, wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org, stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-22 22:19:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In message <45DDCE5C(dot)9000107(at)commandprompt(dot)com> on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:09:48 -0800, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> said:

jd> I believe that is much more accurate. The reality is, switching to
jd> something else will be painful. I would prefer not to be on CVS as
jd> well but it would take a lot of work and cvs does what we need it
jd> to.

I can only tell you my own story, and that's a story of being sick and
damn (oh, I've a much stronger word, but I'm too polite to use it
here) tired of CVS, especially having had to deal with it's absolute
lack of merging capacity. It's taken trying a number of other SCMs,
which were all a PITA, until I found monotone, before I decided I had
found a worthy replacement.

To each his or her own, I say, and as you say, chaging (or "moving
on") takes some amount of effort, and you will not do it, as a group,
before more or less all (especially any core group) thinks it's worth
more than staying with the current system.

Cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Levitte richard(at)levitte(dot)org
http://richard.levitte.org/

-- C.S. Lewis