Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Adrian Maier" <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-12 03:42:03
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sunday 11 February 2007 16:22, Adrian Maier wrote:
> On 2/11/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> > I'm working on a rewrite and major cleanup of parts of the code that
> > runs the main website, and came across a thought.
> >
> > We currently have support for translation of news, events, surveys,
> > quotes and pages. So far, we have zero news, zero events, zero surveys,
> > zero quotes and zero pages translated.
>
> Hello,
>
> In my opinion the translation infrastructure is not complete and does not
> allow translations to be done easily. It's lacking some way of tracking
> which English pages
> were modified, so that the translator would know what pages should be
> updated.

I've not heard of anyone come up with a better idea than following the website
commit mailing list... it might be cumbersome, but wouldn't that work?

> About 2 years ago, I have started to translate the website to Romanian. At
> that time I had almost all the pages done, except for the weekly news.
>
> I had trouble with setting up a local copy of the website for testing
> purposes ,
> then the time passed by without any progress.

Yes, I think we all have that problem. My thinking is that anyone serious
about doing this would be given an install on one of our development servers,
but istr there was an issue with you working on a remote host?

> The big question is : how is someone supposed to synchronise his
> translation with the original English pages (which are updated frequently)
> ?
>
> A way to accomplish this might be to write inside the translated page the
> CVS revision of the English one, and write some tool which would report the
> pages were modified in the meantime.
> But this is ugly , and the feature should be provided by the
> translation infrastructure.

Yeah, seems troublesome, though not insurmountable.

--
Robert Treat