Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: "Adrian Maier" <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-11 21:22:17
Lists: pgsql-www

On 2/11/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> I'm working on a rewrite and major cleanup of parts of the code that
> runs the main website, and came across a thought.
>
> We currently have support for translation of news, events, surveys,
> quotes and pages. So far, we have zero news, zero events, zero surveys,
> zero quotes and zero pages translated.

Hello,

In my opinion the translation infrastructure is not complete and does not allow
translations to be done easily. It's lacking some way of tracking
which English pages
were modified, so that the translator would know what pages should be updated.

About 2 years ago, I have started to translate the website to Romanian. At that
time I had almost all the pages done, except for the weekly news.

I had trouble with setting up a local copy of the website for testing
purposes ,
then the time passed by without any progress.

The big question is : how is someone supposed to synchronise his translation
with the original English pages (which are updated frequently) ?

A way to accomplish this might be to write inside the translated page the CVS
revision of the English one, and write some tool which would report the pages
were modified in the meantime.
But this is ugly , and the feature should be provided by the
translation infrastructure.

Cheers,
Adrian Maier