Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-12 04:28:01
Lists: pgsql-www

>>> *sigh*, I am not going to argue the obvious with you. If you don't
>>> agree, don't agree.
>
> I personally don't agree either ... I would guess that the majority of
> PostgreSQL users are non-English as *first* language ... just because they can
> communicate in English doesn't mean that their are either fluent in, or
> comfortable with, the language ...

Then you maintain the code :). Which I believe is one of the arguments.

> I'd love to see our demographics some day, but would guess that the Japanese
> themselves are a fairly high percentage of users, based on how they've
> organized over there ...

I would say outside of the US the Japanese are probably the largest of
our users, and as I said -- they have their own infrastructure.

> Spanish is probably another high percentage language
> ... French, German, Chinese (Mandarin?), Arabic ... if you look at 'first
> languages', I suspect that "English" is alot smaller then 98% ... whether its
> less then 50%, that I wouldn't hazard a guess ...

England, Canada, US, Australia ...

French... have their own infrastructure
German? I have not idea what they have.. Peter?

> Personally, I think it almost does us a dis-service statistically not to have
> more translations available on our main web site ...

I would not disagree, *if* more of the international community was
actually helping keep up with that infrastructure but that isn't why it
is happening. They are creating their own infrastructure.

I know that PostgreSQLFR for example is considering (as we are) creating
a new postgresql website dedicated to being a international docs portal.

The long and short is that without the internationalization the website
becomes quite a bit less complex, that is valid enough argument.

Nobody is stopping people from creating alternative websites, no one is
stopping the main .Org community from insuring that those sub projects
for France, Germany, Austria (where ever) are appropriately linked off
the main site.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/