Re: .bat file to access postgreSQL command line from C:\ Dos prompt

From: Philippe Salama <karebacnyc(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .bat file to access postgreSQL command line from C:\ Dos prompt
Date: 2006-12-09 01:32:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

Here is a refinement of my psql.bat file that I just received from a senior member at utteracces.com

cd "\program files"
cd postgreSQL
cd 8.1
cd bin
psql -U postgres template1

---------------------------------

You could shorten this to
Code:
---------------------------------

cd "\Program Files\postgreSQL\8.1\bin"
psql -U postgres template1

---------------------------------

You also might want to ensure that the user is "on" the correct drive (most likely this is the C: drive). If so:
Code:
---------------------------------

c:
cd "\Program Files\postgreSQL\8.1\bin"
psql -U postgres template1

---------------------------------

And if you don't want any echoing of the commands to the command window (wouldn't be necessary if this is used in a shortcut or other non-console situation):
Code:
---------------------------------

@echo off
c:
cd "\Program Files\postgreSQL\8.1\bin"
psql -U postgres template1

---------------------------------

And, here is my reply:

For a long time, I did not know how to use notepad to save something with a suffix other than .txt
and then someone showed me that if you "psql.bat" , and choose allfiles type, then it will save with the .bat ending.

Before I learned that, I used to save as .txt, then go to the dos prompt and say REN *.TXT *.BAT (in a folder which has only my .txt file).

It also helped me to fine a freeware text editor called pspad which helps a lot with such tasks, as well as html and php.

Philippe Salama <karebacnyc(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote: Thanks for your help! And thanks to your help, I was able to figure out the following, as a psql.bat file on drive C:

cd program files
cd postgreSQL
cd 8.1
cd bin
psql -U postgres template1

I could not figure out how to make a path work in the .bat file if there is a space in PROGRAM FILES. But it words if I just to a CD to each directory.

I have a paperback on PostgreSQL in which most of the exercises use the command line prompt. Although I have found admin programs that allow me to access PostgreSQL nicely, I want to learn about the command line.

I also have a 1984 book on SQL by Lantimes, and I put all the exercise tables int o MySQL. Then, I exported the tables to an SQL script, and modified the script so that it would run in PostgreSQL. If anyone is interested, I can provide that script.

I would also like to go through the some of Joe Celko's books, like SQL for Smarties, and I plan to put the test tables into PostgreSQL and also MySQL.

But if anyone has any test tables from SQL instruction books, let me know.

I will be happy to share what I have with others if there is some interest.

I feel that if the test data for such SQL exercises is made available on the Internet, then it will encourage more people to learn SQL.