Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-19 08:28:17
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> That is not true .. that is only true if we publish -all ... if we
> publish ?all, we are saying that anything coming from "a mx" are
> *definitely* from @postgresql.org, and that from other sources they
> *might* be ... with ?all, it becomes more a means of Scoring for spam
> filters like Spamassassin then anything else ...

You continue to operate under the assumption that SPF has something to
do with spam. It doesn't. SPF enforces that email travels across
approved hosts. Spammers who hijack dial-up PCs (currently the
majority of junk mail) can also make their email travel across approved
hosts. Spammers can also set up their own SPF records to fool your
scoring system.

Go to the SPF web site. It says: "SPF: A Sender Policy Framework to
Prevent Email Forgery". That's what it does. It prevents that spammer
A can claim that he is spammer B. And it doesn't even do that very
well.

--
Peter Eisentraut