Re: Lurking Wanna Be

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lurking Wanna Be
Date: 2006-07-28 17:55:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I don't mind the programming. This application has a
> lot of validation
> and business logic to contend with.
>
> I'm just not looking forward to the ardious task of
> building by hand,
> checking and testing 1000+ user data entry/display
> forms then extracting
> and updating the record/dataset with any potential
> user initiated
> changes to the data.
>
> Just thought there weould be something out in GUI
> that could replace the
> earthy tasting perl, php...yada yada yada.
>
> Honestly, I appreciate the discussion on this issue.
>
> Hal Davison
> Davison Consulting

Hal, if it is database centric - iow, all the forms
tie into a db, then ruby on rails may well work for
you. it will enable you to get the forms up
relatively quickly (1,000 forms is an *awful* lot of
forms!) and then you can add features over time.

again, i don't see 1,000 of anything that is as
detailed as this being quick or easy. 1,000 is a
*huge* number.

i've used a forms class to help with validation - and
it is a great help. it is on phpclassed.org - manuel
Lemos is the author. it isn't a trivial class, though
= it has tons of functionality.

implementing a form, once you know how to use it,
isn't too difficult. i could send you a simple form
example using php, the forms class and adodb to
interact with the db, if you are interested.
implementing 1,000 forms is a different story.

since you know your app the best, evaluate all the
options that people give - from vb, php, ror to more
specialized apps.

with a 1,000 forms, though, i don't think anyone will
be able to consider this kind of work trivial,
regardless of what you choose to use.

good luck.