Re: Lurking Wanna Be

From: Hal Davison <herbie(at)faams(dot)net>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lurking Wanna Be
Date: 2006-07-28 08:42:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 23:53, operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
> > Sean,
> >
> > Being specific..
> >
> > The PostgreSQL is running on Linux.
> >
> > The client/users will connect from their bloated
> > Intel PCs.
> >
> > With an HTML browser they could connect from
> > anywhere and any box if
> > that option were available.
> >
> > I'm looking for a tool or toolset that will enable
> > one to 'PAINT' the
> > screen, extract information from one or more
> > datasets, display the
> > information. Give the user some interaction and send
> > the changed
> > information back to the db server.
> >
> > Hal Davison
> > Sarasota, Florida
>
> Hal, in short, you want a programmed interface without
> the hassle of programming, is that about it? If you
> find out how to do that, *let me know*! -lol-
>
> seriously, there are many ways to do this, depending
> on your objective. Someone mentioned Ruby on Rails -
> if you follow its conventions, it *will*
> auto-magically create forms for you to enter, delete
> and update information. However, this its initial
> presentation is very basic. Non technical users would
> probably find a way to bash it and evil users may well
> find a way to destroy it.
>
> You would have to learn about Ruby and Rails - which
> isn't trivial. I'm going through the process now.
>
> At present, I've been using PHP, HTML, CSS, ADODB db
> abstraction layer and Manuel Lemos' forms class to get
> my interfaces up and running.
>
> It hasn't been a trivial learning curve, either. It
> has taken some dedication - and thank goodness for all
> the good people in this and other mailing lists and
> forums!
>
> if you don't want to program the interface yourself,
> you could always hire someone to do it. Even then, it
> would help to know a little bit about the technology
> b/c programming styles vary drammatically and it can
> have serious consequences for your app at some point
> in the future.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

I don't mind the programming. This application has a lot of validation
and business logic to contend with.

I'm just not looking forward to the ardious task of building by hand,
checking and testing 1000+ user data entry/display forms then extracting
and updating the record/dataset with any potential user initiated
changes to the data.

Just thought there weould be something out in GUI that could replace the
earthy tasting perl, php...yada yada yada.

Honestly, I appreciate the discussion on this issue.

Hal Davison
Davison Consulting