Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Satoshi Nagayasu <nagayasus(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date: 2006-07-14 01:31:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> The right way to proceed is what was mentioned in another message: work
>> harder at educating packagers about which non-core projects are worth
>> including in their packages. I have to confess contributing to the
>> problem, as I'm not currently including eg. Slony in the Red Hat RPMs.
>> I certainly should be --- but "fixing" that by pushing Slony into the
>> core PG distro is not a solution.
>>

> Well, there are other good reasons not to in the slony case.
>
> But anyway, I was wondering if we could make life easier by providing a
> script which would fetch some set of addon features, and make building the
> whole lot together easy.
>
> No doubt some people will not want to make choices, but I think we need to,
> to some extent. I broadly agree with what Martijn has just said, although I
> doubt that pgFoundry's Top Downloads section is much of a guide. If we
> recommend something we need to be prepared to exerciase some jusgement and
> have the courage of our convictions.
>
> Personally, I would start with:
>
> pl/java
> pl/ruby
> pl/php
> jdbc driver
> odbc driver
> npgsql
> python stuff (not sure which, as I don't use it)
>>
> The perl and php clients, and libpqxx would also be possibilities.

Just a thought, but if one of the big beefs is ppl not finding out about
things, why not just add a simple README.addons to the distribution, and
have it so that when a 'make install' is finished, the last thing that
happens is this get 'less'd to their screen?

The thing is, this whole discussion is moot *except* as far as packagers
are concerned, or the ones that download from ftp.postgresql.org and build
from source ... a packager is going to split all those individual 'extras'
off into seperate packages, or, I imagine, in alot of cases, not do
*anything* with them as its not within their realm of interest ...

----
Email . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org MSN . scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Yahoo . yscrappy Skype: hub.org ICQ . 7615664