Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dana Hudes <dhudes(at)hudes(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sun supporting PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-11-20 00:39:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-announce pgsql-general

Dana,

> I heard a presentation by Brian Wilson , chief technologist for sun, a
> week ago thursday. Postgresql is, like mysql , part of the "sfw" (sun
> freeware) tree. It is NOT supported by Sun in that you cannot call
> Sunsolve and open a trouble tickeet on it the way you can for e.g. tar
> (the solaris one) or anything else in e.g. /usr/bin .
> there may indeed  be patches issued for it between releases. We shall see.

My understanding is that the annoucement two days ago changes that. That is,
starting "soon" you *will* be able to call Sun if you have problems with
PostgreSQL. I believe the phrase that William Franklin (head of database
stuff at Sun) used was "one throat to choke".

Of course, when Brian presented to you that strategy wasn't public yet, so he
wouldn't have told you about it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Core Team

(unless specifically indicated, all opinions in the above
e-mail are my own, and should not be taken as opinions of
the Project as a whole.)