Re: Print advertising

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: nhrcommu(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Print advertising
Date: 2005-11-20 23:24:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Mike,

I'm taking this back on-list because I think it's a critical discussion.

> I have a fuzzy feeling that there are a few people
> in the world that do not sit around reading
> Information Week as part of their daily routine.  A
> CEO of a 20 person company in Oneonta, NY may not
> even know that there IS such a thing as PG..... but
> he sure knows that he has needs and 1 of them is
> saving money.  He probably DOES read the local
> paper... because he may be in it.  And if he reads
> some plain talk about PG, he may grab his "computer
> guy" by the stacking swivel and say... "Why wasn't I
> told about this?"

I think you're absolutely right. However, I'm personally at a loss on how to
reach these people without spending a fortune on print advertising. The
problem is that small businesses simply don't read any national publications
consistently. There are some key ones we could take on -- ComputerWorld,
Philanthropy Journal -- but on the whole it would be hit-or-miss. And for
small local papers, there are probably 25,000 of them in the US.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions