Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Ezra Taylor <ezra(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sun supporting PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-11-19 20:08:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-announce pgsql-general

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Ezra Taylor wrote:

> Hello all:
> Just to let you all know, Sun is in trouble. Linux is
> taking alot of business away from Sun. Can we trust Sun to do the
> right thing. Also, if Sun adds any code to PG, will it continue to be
> opensource product. As you can tell, I don't trust these big IT
> companies, but they are a necessary evil. How can we protect
> ourselves from Sun if they plan to shaft us.

How would they shaft us? We only add code to *our* tree that is BSD
licenced, so any code Sun submits to us will have to be the same ... Sun
is "just another operating system company" that happens to now be
providing PostgreSQL as part of their offering ... there are several now
that are doing their own version of PostgreSQL, with 'closed source'
modifications to it ... if Sun decides to do this, they have that option

----