Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 00:57:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Both Joshua Drake and Marc sell commercial replication solutions. Do
> > you think it is fair of the community to mention BSD-licensed
> > replication solutions in our press release while not mentioning
> > commercial ones?
> >
> > I do.
>
> I don't. At Command Prompt we practice a very simple theory:
>
> If you take care of your employees, they will take care of you.
>

> In return we "hope" that the community will help take care of us, so we
> can continue to provide these resources.
>
> I am not saying that the project should go gone how about commercial
> products, but helping increase the visibility of major contributing
> companies/products/projects will only HELP the community.

OK, now I understand your approach to the issue, and it brings up some
interesting questions.

For companies doing consulting, training, support, etc. for PostgreSQL,
there isn't any real conflict between the community development process
and those companies. However, companies that provide proprietary
add-ons can have conflicts because the functionality of their add-ons
might later be provided by the community.

What typically happens is that the company has had 1-2 years to recover
their costs and make a profit, and they usually donate the code to the
project, give us the code to take the parts we can make use of, or just
abandon the project and move all their customers to the community
solution. However, sometimes things don't work that cleanly.

Do we promote proprietary add-on software, and if so, how? And if there
are similar open-source solutions, does that affect the issue?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us