Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 01:04:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 17:27, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Odd, shouldn't it be the other way around? Do you not have a product
> > line that is based on the efforts of more than 10years (don't recall the
> > actual number) of development by the community? It would seem like you
> > would be returning the favor and partaking in the open source efforts
> > (as you have with plPHP, plPerlNG..).
> >
> > The community already takes care of you. ;-)
>
> I would suggest that you read the email again. I was writing to a
> symbiotic type of relationship where the two are equal giving partners.
> Not where one is more imnportant than the other.

So, what you are saying 'symbioticly' (sp) is that a commercial entity,
such yours, and an open source community are equal partners? I didn't
take your original message as that you looked at one being more
important than the other, but merely that you pointed out all the
reasons of how Command Prompt helps the community and how it should
basically *show a little love* in return. There are MANY companies (too
many to list...and the techdocs site hardly covers them all) but if
giving props to companies that provide support to the community in IRC,
mailing lists, etc... the press release would just be a bunch of names
of companies and individuals. So, I don't see where those points were
going.

> If you have the sum of commercial interests providing for a large
> portion of the code being developed into the community, it makes sense
> that the community in return would acknowledge and show appreciation
> for; as the PostgreSQL normally does, the existence of the commercial
> support that goes into said community.

I don't see a problem mentioning commercial companies that generate code
to the community project. That makes perfect sense. If an entity
(corporation) or an individual they should get the same type of
appreciation.

However, if an individual builds plugin xyz and keeps it for themselves
(proprietary), I don't see where the obligation of the community is to
mention such plugin in their press release. (but mentioning the
individuals/entities that donated code to the community project should
be mentioned for obvious reasons).

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
* 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development