Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0

From: Robby Russell <robby(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date: 2004-08-14 01:10:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 17:57, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > In return we "hope" that the community will help take care of us, so we
> > can continue to provide these resources.
> >
> > I am not saying that the project should go gone how about commercial
> > products, but helping increase the visibility of major contributing
> > companies/products/projects will only HELP the community.
>
> OK, now I understand your approach to the issue, and it brings up some
> interesting questions.
>
> For companies doing consulting, training, support, etc. for PostgreSQL,
> there isn't any real conflict between the community development process
> and those companies.

Exactly, this directly helps the community. It's how the Open Source
model proves to be successful

> However, companies that provide proprietary
> add-ons can have conflicts because the functionality of their add-ons
> might later be provided by the community.

This seems to have been the general theme of this whole thread. ;-)

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR | robby(at)planetargon(dot)com
* 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development