Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date: 2004-01-06 23:48:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Josh,

> The spyware (at least last time I checked) isn't installed without
> permission. If a person installs
> Kazaa they knowingly have agreed to do so. Ignorance is not an excuse.

So? It's still reason for OOo not to want to be associated with them, in the
same way that we would not publicize a testimonial that Enron or Al Queda
used OOo (though those are, of course, much more clear-cut).

Same thing with the music piracy angle. Regardless of what we do, a certain
number of execs think that Open Source must be stealing because it's "free".
Authorizing a distribution service which also carries stolen property will
simply encourage more execs to think this way and feed directly into
Microsoft's marketing campaigns which paint Linux and OOo as
"anti-capitalist". Mind you, Kazaa can distribute OOo whenever they wish but
it was up to us whether we participated in their PR, and we decided not to.

Given that you sell copyrighted material for a living, I find your attitude
surprising. Or are you simply playing devil's advocate?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions