Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Dan Langille <dan(at)langille(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date: 2004-01-07 00:46:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

>>The spyware (at least last time I checked) isn't installed without
>>permission. If a person installs
>>Kazaa they knowingly have agreed to do so. Ignorance is not an excuse.
>>

>So? It's still reason for OOo not to want to be associated with them, in the
>same way that we would not publicize a testimonial that Enron or Al Queda
>used OOo (though those are, of course, much more clear-cut).

Which of course is OO's perogative... but Kazaa at least from what you
were saying was trying to
provide (agruably) a legitimate distribution channel for OO via a
legitimate service. Especially since
OO is free, I don't see a problem with it.

Now on the flip side I think that distribution through Kazaa is going to
help Kazaa more than it would
help OO... as Kazaa is more of a desparate need to prove that they are
legitamite.

>Same thing with the music piracy angle. Regardless of what we do, a certain
>number of execs think that Open Source must be stealing because it's "free".

I have never actually ran into that. Not saying it exists, but most
execs that I run into just don't
understand how it works but usually it is more in the vein of "Why do it
if its free"...

>Microsoft's marketing campaigns which paint Linux and OOo as
>"anti-capitalist".

That is not exactly untrue. It is also not exactly a bad thing. Linux is
anti-captilist to some degree.
Linux is more socio-capitlism where the better good overrides the larger
dollar. Today's capitalism doesn't
look that far. Although it should as the better good in the end will
bring the larger dollar.

>Mind you, Kazaa can distribute OOo whenever they wish but
>it was up to us whether we participated in their PR, and we decided not to.
>
>Given that you sell copyrighted material for a living, I find your attitude
>surprising. Or are you simply playing devil's advocate?

Part of it is Devil's Advocate. Part of it is irritation at being snowed
in for over a week. Part of it
is me wanting to explore the argument further.

In reality I think that your choice specifically for Kazaa and OO was
probably the right one. I didn't
realize that they wanted the whole PR thing. I wouldn't want that PR
either. I thought it was more
of a "We don't want you do distribute OO" type of thing where I could
see Kazaa actually doing
you some good.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake