Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Date: 2002-12-05 04:22:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

[cc: list trimmed]

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 22:52, Philip Warner wrote:
> At 05:48 PM 4/12/2002 -0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >Lack of marketing is one of Postgres's major problems.

> What are the consequences of the problem?

Actually, lack of easy upgrading is one of PostgreSQL's major problems....

But lack of focused marketing -- truthful, not, as has been said, like the
'Database HOWTO' -- is a real problem. It would be nice to increase our
usage.

> If that is what we want, then fine. But I don't want to see any part of the
> development effort distorted or the existing user base inconvenienced in an
> effort to purely gain that market share. I usually associate increased
> marketing with decreased quality, and I think the causality works *both*
> ways.

ISTM there's a separate, non-code-developer group doing this. It doesn't seem
to take away _any_ developer resources to do an advocacy site.

However, I seriously question the need in the long term for our sites to be as
fractured as they are. Good grief! We've got advocacy.postgresql.org,
techdocs.postgresql.org, odbc.postgresql.org, gborg.postgresql.org,
developer.postgresql.org, jdbc.postgresql.org, etc. Oh, and we also have
www.postgresql.org on the side? I think not. Oh, and they are fractured in
their styles -- really, guys, we need a unified style here.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio