Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

From: Scott Lamb <slamb(at)slamb(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Date: 2002-12-05 06:37:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen wrote:
> However, I seriously question the need in the long term for our sites to be as
> fractured as they are. Good grief! We've got advocacy.postgresql.org,
> techdocs.postgresql.org, odbc.postgresql.org, gborg.postgresql.org,
> developer.postgresql.org, jdbc.postgresql.org, etc. Oh, and we also have
> www.postgresql.org on the side? I think not. Oh, and they are fractured in
> their styles -- really, guys, we need a unified style here.

I'd love to see this happen. From reading the messages here, it sounds
like the perception is that marketing == spouting bullshit. I don't
believe that's true. I think having an informative, up-to-date,
stylistically consistent website would do a tremendous amount of good.

The JDBC one is a particularly bad example right now - it doesn't fit in
with any of the rest of the site and its most prominent link is to a
completely out-of-date list of compliance tests the driver fails. The
driver may have its flaws but it's a lot better than presented there.

IMHO these things make a difference to technical people as well as
suits. If that site and the MySQL JDBC driver's site were my first
impressions, I would be using MySQL.

The JDBC site is certainly not the only one with flaws. The main website
has this paragraph in <http://www15.us.postgresql.org/related.html>:

For encrypted postgresql connections, Brett McCormick
(brett-public(at)speakeasy(dot)org) has made a patch for PostgreSQL
version 6.3.2 using SSL. Visit his info page for more information.

That's horribly obselete. In fact, I think a lot of the related projects
are. That's only two clicks away from the main page.

I'm volunteering to do work here. I could at the very least go through
the sites and make a longer list of things like this that I notice. If
they are public CVS somewhere, I can send patches. I saw that there's a
<http://wwwdevel.postgresql.org/>. What's going on with that? Is there
anything I can do to speed up its adoption? How will it affect the rest
of the sites?

Is this list the appropriate place to discuss the websites? or should I
take it to -advocacy? My impression here is that the two sites are
maintained separately and the people involved haven't interacted very
much. Is that accurate or no?

Thanks,
Scott