Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system
Date: 2002-08-30 21:18:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:08:59PM -0700, Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> I know that I need to at least get some more understanding on the process
> that takes place.

The problem is that PostgreSQL doesn't have a "read only" mode. So
you can't really do it this way.

Is there a way to make a RAMDISK on Win32? If so, Tom Lane's
suggestion is probably the best one. Set up a RAMDISK, put your data
directory there, and presto. Of course, that means you need enough
physical memory to hold the database, which might cause problems.

What about using the CD-ROM to copy a version of the database onto
the hard drive? You could delete it when your application shuts
down, I guess; you'd still need that much free space for your db,
though.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada