Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system

From: "Tyler Mitchell" <TMitchell(at)lignum(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, nicolasb(at)maich(dot)gr
Subject: Re: Running postgres on a read-only file system
Date: 2002-08-30 21:34:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:08:59PM -0700, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>>
>> I know that I need to at least get some more understanding on the
process
>> that takes place.

>The problem is that PostgreSQL doesn't have a "read only" mode. So
>you can't really do it this way.

Okay, that answers one of my questions, thanks Andrew. Is this something
that others may be interested in? Is it realistic to ask that it be added
to the TODO list?
What kind of writes occur normally, how does file locking work. Could you
direct me to other resources on this for postgresql?

>Is there a way to make a RAMDISK on Win32? If so, Tom Lane's
>suggestion is probably the best one. Set up a RAMDISK, put your data
>directory there, and presto. Of course, that means you need enough
>physical memory to hold the database, which might cause problems.
>
>What about using the CD-ROM to copy a version of the database onto
>the hard drive? You could delete it when your application shuts
>down, I guess; you'd still need that much free space for your db,
>though.

Yes, both good ideas, we've been kicking these around. But we just wanted
to exhaust the possibilities before we "give in" :)

One more idea, is it possible to "fake" a read-write file system. I.e.
supply the files that postgresql will be looking for? (I know it's a
stretch, but hey, this IS the "hackers" list) :)

Thanks guys.