Re: (A) native Windows port

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (A) native Windows port
Date: 2002-07-10 14:20:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 09:11 am, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 01:09, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > The wc utility isn't in the path in an OS install situation. The df
> > utility isn't in the path, either. You can use python, though. :-) Not
> > that that would be a good thing in this context, however.

> Why not ?

> The following is wc in python

[snip]

> And I have written custom postgres table dumpers in python without too
> much effort (except reverse-engineering the page structure ;) for both
> 6.x and 7.x database tables, so we could actually use python here too.

I'm willing to look into this. However, the dump still has to be pulled with
a standalone backend -- no networking availability can be assumed.

> The only problem with this approach is that it needs maintaining
> separately from postgres proper. OTOH, this may also be a good thing, as
> a separate reimplementation is only known working guarantee that we
> actually know what our page format is ;) as the docs have always been
> wrong about this.

Well, I could deal with that.

> > The pg_fsck program is a good beginning to such a program.

> Where can I fing pg_fsck ?

[looking in my bookmarks....]
http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/pgfsck.html

> It is not in recent CVS snapshots.

Martijn hasn't submitted it yet (AFAICT) for inclusion. I believe if nothing
else it should be in contrib.

Contrary to some people's apparent perception, I'm actually fairly flexible on
this as long as the basic points can be dealt with.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio