Re: Slow connection

From: Arthur <arthur(at)radioretail(dot)co(dot)za>
To: andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow connection
Date: 2002-06-07 14:39:53
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 08:52:42AM +0200, Arthur wrote:
> > The problem that all the other users/applications on our LAN
> > experience difficulties with their connections while my program is
> > running - ie very slow or timeouts.
>
>On Friday 07 June 2002 16:16, you wrote:
> It's not clear from this whether they are experiencing general
> network problems, of Postgres problems. If the latter, I'd suspect
> something your program is doing -- a transaction which is blocking
> other operations. If the former, I don't know.

Thanks for your reply, I know its a rather vague question, but it is a rather
puzzling problem. I am sure its something that my program is doing, beacuse
when the program stops evrything returns to normal. The LAN itself does not
become slow, just all programs or users that connect to the postgres server
(irrespective of the specific database).
For example, while my program is running, using another interface, a query to
a relatively small table my take about 12 seconds, but when I stop the
program, it takes around 4 seconds.

I can outline the basic logic of the program, maybe you can pick something up.
I query a table and process the rows. For each row an update statement is run
that updates data in the processed row. I use a persistant connection for the
updates, but I'm not keen to do transaction batches wtih commit/rollback,
etc.

Is it possible that the postgres server gives precidence to the libpq++
connection?

thanks for your time, have a nice weekend!

cheers
Arthur