Re: Slow connection

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow connection
Date: 2002-06-07 16:26:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 04:39:53PM +0200, Arthur wrote:

> I can outline the basic logic of the program, maybe you can pick
> something up. I query a table and process the rows. For each row an
> update statement is run that updates data in the processed row. I
> use a persistant connection for the updates, but I'm not keen to do
> transaction batches wtih commit/rollback, etc.

Are you quite sure you're not in a transaction? Because given that
you're doing updates, and everyone else is apparently blocked, I'd
expect you're holding a lock on data they're trying to read. Update
causes a very aggressive lock, for obvious reasons.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M6K 3E3