Re: Patches split from 7.3 queue

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patches split from 7.3 queue
Date: 2002-02-23 20:02:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, I have done my best to split out the accepted patches from the other
> > open items in 7.3. My logic was to move any patch that generated no
> > negative feedback into the to-be-applied queue at:
>
> Like Peter, I am *extremely* concerned that you seem to be taking an
> apply-by-default approach to these queued patches. Most of them have
> not seen any review, and it's unreasonable to expect the reviewers to
> deal with such a huge pile in a short period of time.

I really should have changed that message to 7 days. Sorry.

What really happened, I think, is with 7.2 in beta, patches didn't get
the full washing they would normally get from the group, so they aren't
as polished as usual. If we get some feedback to the submitter, we can
just delete them and go back to the normal process of
post/comment/queue.

> At minimum, I want to take an approach of apply-only-after-positive-
> review to these.

OK, shoot over some comments. Peter already sent over some nice ones.

> > I would like to clean out both of these lists in the next week.
>
> If you want it done that quickly, then reject 'em all. We all have
> other tasks besides reviewing.

I can do that.

> I don't normally like being this strict, but because of the unusually
> long beta cycle for 7.2, we have a massive backlog here. We cannot
> take a business-as-usual approach to dealing with it.

Over one week? Wow. Most are jdbc or clear rejections, so once those
are gone, we should be able to deal with these more clearly. What I
_don't_ want is for this to drag on and on.

If I can not get comments on these within one week, I will apply/reject
them as best I can tell.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us