Re: Migrating db from Oracle to Postgresql

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
To: Colin Barnard <cgb(at)dcs(dot)qmul(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating db from Oracle to Postgresql
Date: 2001-11-19 16:54:30
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Colin Barnard wrote:

> Hello there
>
> We have a few small but critical Oracle databases currently running on a
> Solaris platform. Is it possible to import the product of an Oracle
> export, filename.dmp, directly into Postgres? The dmp file is binary not
> sql text :-(
>
> (Looked through faq's and archives)
>
> All suggestions most gratefully received
> Many thanks

Can't you get the data to an ASCII file?
It doesn't have to be with "inserts". A plain ASCII file with some sort of
separator between column will do. You then can use the copy command to
import your data.

I am copying data from Foxpro to PostgreSQL by dumping the data on Foxpro
to an ASCII file and having it tab separated (which is the default
postgresql expects).

The line to import the data would be something like:
copy <table> from '<path>' with NULL as '';

The NULL as '' is just so I can import blank columns without problems.