Re: [patch] ALTER RENAME and indexes

From: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] ALTER RENAME and indexes
Date: 2001-10-07 23:16:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07 Oct 2001 at 10:56 (-0400), Tom Lane wrote:
| It occurs to me that the real problem is not so much ALTER RENAME not
| doing enough, as it is psql doing the wrong thing. The \d display for
| indexes is almost entirely unhelpful, since it doesn't tell you such
| critical stuff as whether the index is a functional index nor which
| index opclasses are being used. I wonder whether we oughtn't rip out
| the whole display and make it report the results of pg_get_indexdef(),
| instead.

This would solve the display problem for sure, but we'd still have
bad data in the pg_attribute tuple for the index -- specifically,
attname would still contain the original column name that the index
was created on. I'm now aware that PG does not use this attname
directly/internally, but it would still be wrong if anyone happens
to look at the system catalog.

cheers.
Brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing." -- Duane Allman