Place of PO files for NLS (was Re: PG_DUMP NLS (Russian))

From: "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: "D(dot) Hageman" <dhageman(at)dracken(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Place of PO files for NLS (was Re: PG_DUMP NLS (Russian))
Date: 2001-10-07 23:48:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

----- Original Message -----
From: D. Hageman <dhageman(at)dracken(dot)com>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2001 4:06 PM

> I was noticing that most of the translations are just being put into the
> root of the source tree.

Not exactly into the source root, but to the source
of individual components prepared for the NLS.

> I just thought I would point out that could get
> messy and many projects realizing this have created a po directory off the
> source tree to store the translations in. It might be worthwhile to
> create such a directory and implement this now then when more and more
> translations start pouring in. Just a very concrete sequential way of
> keeping the "real" code visible.

There was discussion at some point going on AFAIR on the topic or
close to the topic, but I don't recall how it ended. But this idea is
not new, and I don't remember why this approach wasn't followed...

One could've created a /po dir as you are saying and have translations
under it with directories for every component. But I'm not sure how
the gettext and other tools work, so I it might be specifics of the
tools. I still have to install them in order to use. But it's Peter
Eisentraut is in charge of NLS, so I guess he can clarify these points
better than I.

--
S.