Re: question about new fmgr in 7.1 snapshots

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)propertykey(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: question about new fmgr in 7.1 snapshots
Date: 2000-10-23 14:42:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)propertykey(dot)com> writes:
> > my question is whether i should change the function to use the new fmgr
> > type of definition or if it's only for internal functions.
>
> Up to you. If you need any of the new features (like clean handling
> of NULLs) then convert. If you were happy with the old way, no need.
>
> A new-style dynamically loaded function must be defined as using
> language "newC" not "C"; this cues fmgr which way to call it.

Are you sure on that? Doesn't TOAST mean that any user
defined function recieving variable size attributes must
expect them now to be compressed or stored external and
change it's access to them going through the untoasting? Or
do you do that for old style 'C' functions all the time in
the fmgr now?

> Gotta start updating the documentation soon ;-)

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #