Re: AW: AW: AW: relation ### modified while in use

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "'Hiroshi Inoue'" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: AW: AW: relation ### modified while in use
Date: 2000-10-23 14:36:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> No, the above is not a valid example, because Session 2 won't
> get the exclusive lock until Session 1 commits, since Session 1 already
> holds a lock on foo (for the inserted row).

> You were talking about the "select only" case (and no for update eighter).
> I think that select statements need a shared lock for the duration of their
> execution only.

You seem to think that locks on individual tuples conflict with
table-wide locks. AFAIK that's not true. The only way to prevent
another xact from gaining AccessExclusiveLock on a table is to be
holding some lock *on the table*.

As for your claim that read-only xacts don't need to worry about
preventing schema updates, what of adding/deleting ON SELECT rules?