Re: [HACKERS] Revised Copyright: is this more palatable?

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL GENERAL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Revised Copyright: is this more palatable?
Date: 2000-07-05 09:42:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Philip Warner wrote:
> I do still own copyright, but I can't prevent people using it in a
> PG-derived project. But I *can* prevent them using it in software to run a
> meat-grinder, assuming that software is not recognizably a PG derived
> database (as perceived by a reasonable person). This could be relevant to
> Jan who wrote compression code, although I suspect he's philosophically
> opposed to preventing his actual source code being used in, eg, "The New
> Fangled Microsoft Disk Compressor, using advanced Compression Technology
> (tm)".

Especially the compression code was only coding. The
underlying algorithm (slightly modified) was taken from a 10+
years old usenet article and is the idea of Adisak
Pochanayon.

If anyone on earth can make money out of it, I don't have a
problem with that. This includes M$ and any other company
with bad reputation. But if there's a bug in my code causing
severe damage, I don't want to get sued for it. That's all.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #