Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable?

From: JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck)
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL GENERAL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable?
Date: 2000-07-05 09:31:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Mike Mascari wrote:
> This is not something new. SunOS, AIX, HPUX, etc. all have (at
> one time or another) considerable BSD roots. And yet FreeBSD
> still exists... All GPL does is 'poison' the pot by prohibiting
> commercial spawns which may leverage the code. If someone makes
> some money selling CommercialGres by integrating replication,
> distributive, and parallel query, good for them.

Let them! It's good for the customer too, because he mustn't
wait until we lazy dogs implement all that.

If they are smart, they will contribute it to the open source
tree sometimes after having their ROI. Otherwise they run the
risk of getting stuck someday when their changes don't apply
any more to our tree but they are still responsible for it's
functionality.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #