Re: [HACKERS] Re: [DOCS] Outline for PostgreSQL book

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Stephens <bruce(at)cenderis(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [DOCS] Outline for PostgreSQL book
Date: 1999-10-13 18:31:54
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>
> > PostgreSQL Book Proposal
> >
> > Bruce Momjian
>
> [...]
>
> > 4.
> > Advanced SQL Commands
>
> [...]
>

> > 6.
> > Interfacing to the POSTGRESQL Database
> > (a)
> > C Language API
> > (b)
> > Embedded C
> > (c)
> > C++
> > (d)
> > JAVA
> > (e)
> > ODBC
> > (f)
> > PERL
> > (g)
> > TCL/TK
> > (h)
> > PYTHON
> > (i)
> > Web access (PHP)
> > (j)
> > Server-side programming (PLPGSQL and SPI)
>
> Isn't (j) logically part of chapter 4? (Or 5, if it's PostgreSQL
> specific.) Or am I completely confused? (Where can I read about
> PLPGSQL and/or SPI, other than in the forthcoming book?)
>
> If it came to a choice between having very short sections in chapter
> 6, and having two or three of them covered in more depth, I'd go for
> the latter.

Not sure. They are properly 'programming' to me, so I put them there.
They address a similar programmatic need in the database.

> (Of course, you'll inevitably choose two or three which don't match
> what many readers will want (whichever two or three you choose), but
> even so, I think I'd get more out of a reasonably thorough coverage of
> a couple of languages that I won't use than superficial coverage of
> all of them which doesn't really reveal anything useful.)

I was going to do a newbie thing and show the advantages of each one.
Not sure I want to go into great depth on any of them. Just enough to
get people started, and using the documentation.