Re: [DOCS] Outline for PostgreSQL book

From: Bruce Stephens <bruce(at)cenderis(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Outline for PostgreSQL book
Date: 1999-10-12 22:08:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:

> PostgreSQL Book Proposal
>
> Bruce Momjian

[...]

> 4.
> Advanced SQL Commands

[...]

> 6.
> Interfacing to the POSTGRESQL Database
> (a)
> C Language API
> (b)
> Embedded C
> (c)
> C++
> (d)
> JAVA
> (e)
> ODBC
> (f)
> PERL
> (g)
> TCL/TK
> (h)
> PYTHON
> (i)
> Web access (PHP)
> (j)
> Server-side programming (PLPGSQL and SPI)

Isn't (j) logically part of chapter 4? (Or 5, if it's PostgreSQL
specific.) Or am I completely confused? (Where can I read about
PLPGSQL and/or SPI, other than in the forthcoming book?)

If it came to a choice between having very short sections in chapter
6, and having two or three of them covered in more depth, I'd go for
the latter.

(Of course, you'll inevitably choose two or three which don't match
what many readers will want (whichever two or three you choose), but
even so, I think I'd get more out of a reasonably thorough coverage of
a couple of languages that I won't use than superficial coverage of
all of them which doesn't really reveal anything useful.)