Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

From: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)public(dot)bta(dot)net(dot)cn>
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Date: 1998-11-15 04:24:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

http://www.corba.org/vendors/index.html

> As for 6-9 months...I think this is more in Michael court then
>anything...I don't see why work can't start on it now, even if its nothing
>more then Michael submitting patches that have the relevant sections
>#ifdef's so that they are only enabled for those working on it. I don't
>imagine this is going to be a "now it isn't, now it is" sort of thing...it
>might take 6-9 months to implement...

This is my plan:
1. Wrap the current libpq API in CORBA, as a proof of concept
2. Implement a static row-level interface, which maps PostgreSQL
types to CORBA types
3. Design a fully dynamic interface, complete with Interface
Repository integration with the PostgreSQL type system
4. Implement the design

Number one shouldn't take very long (a few weeks, once I get the whole
CORBA development thing sorted out). Two shouldn't take much longer.
Three and four is anybody's guess, and, as I mentioned earlier, four
depends on currently unimplemented sections of ORBit.

-Michael