Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)public(dot)bta(dot)net(dot)cn>
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Date: 1998-11-15 04:51:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Michael Robinson wrote:

> This is my plan:
> 1. Wrap the current libpq API in CORBA, as a proof of concept
> 2. Implement a static row-level interface, which maps PostgreSQL
> types to CORBA types
> 3. Design a fully dynamic interface, complete with Interface
> Repository integration with the PostgreSQL type system
> 4. Implement the design
>
> Number one shouldn't take very long (a few weeks, once I get the whole
> CORBA development thing sorted out). Two shouldn't take much longer.
> Three and four is anybody's guess, and, as I mentioned earlier, four
> depends on currently unimplemented sections of ORBit.

If this is to be implemented, please do *not* make it dependent on
any one version of Corba...IMHO, that is like telling everyone they must
installed GCC 2.8.1 as their compiler to compile PostgreSQL...it takes the
choice out of ppls hands and forces them to support one implementation.

If it takes using Mico, at this point in time, to implement this
*properly*, so be it...but however it is implemented, it has to be done in
such a way that it is as generic as possible so that the choice of what
CORBA implementation is left up to the person running the end-system, not
the developer because he had a bias/preference.

And, ya, I currently have a bias, and that is towards MICO, since,
by your own admission, ORBit's only supports a sub-set of CORBA...there is
absolutely no reason why our CORBA implementation should be tied to the
development pace of one particular implementation...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org