Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for async support in libpq

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for async support in libpq
Date: 1998-04-20 17:58:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> No, I have no problem with getting a regular packet from the backend
> when the notify condition occurs. What I don't like is creating excess
> network traffic above and beyond the notification packet --- especially
> not having to "poll" continuously to see whether the condition has
> occurred. But using select() to wait for something to happen does not
> induce network traffic.

Got it. I guess I suspected that you would not necessarily be in a
select() call at all times. If you are waiting for user input, or using
libpq and your app is waiting for some keyboard input, you really are
not hanging waiting for input from the backend, are you?

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026