6.3.2 configure glitch

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail(at)Hamartun(dot)Priv(dot)NO>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 6.3.2 configure glitch
Date: 1998-04-20 18:00:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm building 6.3.2 as I write, and I've noticed one small glitch so
far. The configure script tells me that Perl support will be disabled
because PostgreSQL has not been previously installed, which I felt was
a bit mean of it, seeing as I've got 6.3.1 installed. It turns out
that the test for a previous installation is too simplistic. It looks
like this in the configure script:

if test "$USE_PERL" = "true"; then
if test ! -x $prefix/bin/postgres; then
echo "configure: warning: perl support disabled; postgres not previously installed" 1>&2
USE_PERL=
fi
fi

Notice that it only tests for $prefix -- unlike this example of a
previous test, this one for config.site:

if test -z "$CONFIG_SITE"; then
if test "x$prefix" != xNONE; then
CONFIG_SITE="$prefix/share/config.site $prefix/etc/config.site"
else
CONFIG_SITE="$ac_default_prefix/share/config.site $ac_default_prefix/etc/config.site"
fi
fi

The Perl test should probably be modified to work the same way. For
now, I've just run configure with "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql", and
that (not surprisingly) seems to work fine.

"Further bulletins as events warrant." (Watterson: Calvin & Hobbes)

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity. --Niles Crane, "Frasier"