Re: [DOCS] FAQ organization

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: patrice(at)idf(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] FAQ organization
Date: 1998-04-20 17:50:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So by collecting questions on the mailing list, we can see what answers
> the FAQ does not provide yet :)
>
> Anyway, I think it's important for the FAQ to redirect people to the right
> sections of the different manuals, but if you can have quick fixes, maybe
> give them in the answer itself ("did you use the -i flag on the command
> line ?").
>
> It is better to say it twice, if it can help people solve their problem
> faster, though answers _must_ stay short (or else they deserve to have a
> special section in the main docs and a pointer to it :) ).
>
> Do I seem reasonable ??

I agree 100% with everything you said. I just wanted to mention that if
you find frequent questions that should addressed in the manual
pages/docs, or error messages, please let us know so we can add them
there too. I am sure there are many that I have missed.

I have taken a minimalist approach to the FAQ, partially because I have
not concentrated on it. I am looking forward to a better, more
comprehensive FAQ. I have been particularly lacking in adding FAQ items
for novice questions.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026