Re: Updating psql for features of new FE/BE protocol

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updating psql for features of new FE/BE protocol
Date: 2003-06-25 22:13:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think 'is_superuser' is more appropriate.

Okay, fine.

I forgot one other thing that is available from the recent libpq
additions and needs to be exposed by psql: error message verbosity
setting.

What's there now is described in
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/libpq-control.html
to wit, "terse", "default", and "verbose" options.

We have the choice of exposing this as a backslash command or as a
special variable in psql --- any preferences?

Also, I would like to provide the same set of options w.r.t. messages
logged in the server log. Here there is an additional frammish that
could be imagined, ie, more detail for more-serious errors. Any
opinions about what it should look like?