Re: RServ patch to support multiple slaves (sorta)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Michael A Nachbaur <mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RServ patch to support multiple slaves (sorta)
Date: 2003-06-25 22:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 02:47:52PM -0700, Michael A Nachbaur wrote:

> Anyway, it looks like it replicates the "A" table just fine, and the slaveb
> and slavec databases replicate just fine, but the "SyncID" was incremented by
> the SlaveA replication, and therefore "b" and "c" never get updated.

> I don't know enough about how the RServ code works right now to fix this right
> away. Any ideas? Or should I just figure it out for myself? (I know
> everyone is busy getting ready for the feature freeze)

Hm, I don't quite recall the code right now, but I think you should be
trying to put the _rserv_servers_ table to use. In the current version
I think it's unused. Then you can store the SyncId on _rserv_sync_ for
each slave. You have to modify almost everything to use a SlaveId that
references parameters from _rserv_servers_, and pass that as parameter
instead of hostnames and such.

[... reads some code ...]

No, I think this is wrong, but I'm not sure.

"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;
It rarely breaks and when it does I fix the code myself.
It's stable, clean and elegant, and lightning fast as well,
And it doesn't cost a nickel, so Bill Gates can go to hell."