Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-09-14 14:16:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

[ Let's try to trim this discussion to just -general, please ]

Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:41 AM, Adrian Klaver
> <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> wrote:
>> On 9/14/18 1:31 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
>>> I really have to object to this addition:

>> I second that objection. It is not in PGDG's remit to cure the world, for
>> whatever form of cure you ascribe to. This is especially true as 'community
>> member' has no strict definition.

> I understand the concern, however, if you look at how attacks happen
> it is frequently through other sites. Specifically under/poorly
> moderated sites. For specific examples, people who have issues with
> people on Quora will frequently go after them on Facebook and Twitter.

Actually, that addition was in response to concerns that the previous
version didn't delimit the intended scope of the document *at all*.
So I would say it's more restricted now than the previous version.

I feel that most of the concerns being raised today are straw men.
If the PG lists were a place for political discussion, there'd be
valid points to worry about as to whether a CoC might be used to
stifle free speech. But every example that's been given has been
not merely off-topic but wildly so, so I don't find the discussion
to be very realistic.