Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-09-14 15:24:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 4:16 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> [ Let's try to trim this discussion to just -general, please ]
>
> Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt(at)pivotal(dot)io> writes:
> > On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:41 AM, Adrian Klaver
> > <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> wrote:
> members,
> http://postgresql.org>
> takes
>
> >> I second that objection. It is not in PGDG's remit to cure the world,
> for
> >> whatever form of cure you ascribe to. This is especially true as
> 'community
> >> member' has no strict definition.
>
> > I understand the concern, however, if you look at how attacks happen
> > it is frequently through other sites. Specifically under/poorly
> > moderated sites. For specific examples, people who have issues with
> > people on Quora will frequently go after them on Facebook and Twitter.
>
> Actually, that addition was in response to concerns that the previous
> version didn't delimit the intended scope of the document *at all*.
> So I would say it's more restricted now than the previous version.
>
> I feel that most of the concerns being raised today are straw men.
> If the PG lists were a place for political discussion, there'd be
> valid points to worry about as to whether a CoC might be used to
> stifle free speech. But every example that's been given has been
> not merely off-topic but wildly so, so I don't find the discussion
> to be very realistic.

If the code of conduct limited conduct that related to postgresql.org
infrastructure, I would agree. This one explicitly includes all kinds of
interactions which are beyond that.

I assume "all interaction between members" could include having a few beers
at a pub, or being in an argument over the scope of human rights on
facebook, and I think there are people who will read it that way.

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito: Hosted Accounting and ERP. Robust and Flexible. No vendor
lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more