senior DBA in downtown oakland, CA

From: Richard Yen <dba(at)richyen(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: senior DBA in downtown oakland, CA
Date: 2010-05-04 21:43:49
Lists: pgsql-jobs sfpug

SENIOR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
OAKLAND, CA

iParadigms, LLC is the world's leading provider of web-based solutions for plagiarism prevention. The company's products include Turnitin® WriteCycle, used by educators worldwide to check students' papers for originality, to enable web-based peer review and for digital grading of student work. iParadigms' iThenticate® solution is the leader in plagiarism detection in research, publishing and many other commercial markets. The company's solutions check millions of documents each month and are used in over 100 countries. iParadigms is headquartered in Oakland, CA and is backed by Warburg Pincus. http://www.turnitin.com and http://www.ithenticate.com

Job Description:
iParadigms, LLC. seeks a Senior Database Administrator to join our Site Operations team. You'll help us design, implement, scale and manage the large database infrastructure that drives our products and have significant impact on our operational process and long-term technical approach to new products and initiatives. This job reports to the Director of IT and Operations.

Responsibilities:
• Help design and support our database infrastructure, including planning for HA, zero downtime maintenance, and disaster recovery
• Works directly with engineers to architect scalable applications, design schemas and migrations, and tune the database engine and individual queries
• Works directly with the operations team to select and tune hardware, manage change, monitor our infrastructure and support long-term planning/scalability
• Participate in an on-call escalation tier for critical customer-facing issues

Requirements:
• Significant previous work experience supporting 10+ mission-critical database servers in a high-volume, large table (hundreds of millions of rows), high-rate-of-change environment
• History of implementing replication architectures across multiple geographically-distributed datacenters
• A deep understanding of postgreSQL (and ideally mySQL) internals, replication technologies (esp slony) and performance optimization techniques
• An applied and working knowledge of industry hardware trends (SSD, FusionIO) and experience evaluating/tuning the hardware underneath a relational database engine
• Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, including a history working across multiple internal teams to help resolve problems at all levels of the technology stack
• Ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization
• Solid scripting skills in perl, shells, SQL
• BS in Computer Science or a related discipline

Benefits

Core benefits include: health, dental, vision, life/disability, flexible spending accounts, 401(k) with an excellent employer match with immediate vesting. iParadigms is located in downtown Oakland (right on 12th street/Oakland City Center BART) also offers great fringe benefits, including generous paid time off, 10 company holidays plus 1 floating holiday, public transit and gym employer subsidies and refreshments.

Salary and level to be determined by experience and education

To apply for this position, please email your resume in a standard Word or PDF document to jobs(at)iparadigms(dot)com and please include the exact job title in the subject line as above. Submissions without the title in the subject line will not be received by the hiring manager. Please no agency submissions or calls. Due to the high volume of resume submissions we will not be able to confirm your resume submission. If your experience and education best matches the position description, we will contact you directly. Thank you.