Re: FETCH FIRST clause PERCENT option

From: Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: FETCH FIRST clause PERCENT option
Date: 2019-07-08 02:35:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: not tested
Implements feature: tested, passed
Spec compliant: not tested
Documentation: not tested

The basic functionality works as I expect. In the following example I would have guessed it would return 4 rows instead of 5. I don't mind that it uses ceil here, but think that deserves a mention in the documentation.

CREATE TABLE r100 (id INT);
INSERT INTO r100 SELECT generate_series(1, 100);

SELECT * FROM r100 FETCH FIRST 4.01 PERCENT ROWS ONLY;
id
----
1
2
3
4
5
(5 rows)

There's a missing space between the period and following sentence in src\backend\executor\nodeLimit.c
"previous time we got a different result.In PERCENTAGE option there are"

There's a missing space and the beginning "w" should be capitalized in doc\src\sgml\ref\select.sgml
with <literal>PERCENT</literal> count specifies the maximum number of rows to return
in percentage.<literal>ROW</literal>

Another missing space after the period.

previous time we got a different result.In PERCENTAGE option there are"

Ryan Lambert

The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author