Re: Inquiries about PostgreSQL's system catalog development——from a student developer of Nanjing University

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: 杨逸存 <1057206466(at)qq(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inquiries about PostgreSQL's system catalog development——from a student developer of Nanjing University
Date: 2021-03-06 15:08:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"=?gb18030?B?0e7S3bTm?=" <1057206466(at)qq(dot)com> writes:
> &nbsp; &nbsp; I am a Nanjing University student, Yang. I have forked a newly version of PostgreSQL source code to develop for my own use. Her is my question: I am trying to add a new system catalog to the system backend, how can I reach it? Is there any code or interface demonstration to show me?
> &nbsp; &nbsp; I am looking forward to your prompt reply. Heartfelt thanks.

You could try looking through the git history to find past commits
that added new system catalogs, and see what they did. Of course
there will be lots of details that are specific to the actual purpose
of the new catalog, but this might be a useful guide anyway.

One point to know, if you are studying any such commit that is more
than a couple of years old, is that we have completely redesigned the
way that initial catalog data is represented. Fortunately, that's
also documented now [1].

In general, studying the existing code to look for prototypes to copy
is a good approach.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/bki.html