Re: [pgsql-general] Daily digest v1.8030 (22 messages)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Brett Hoerner" <bretthoerner(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Colin Wetherbee" <cww(at)denterprises(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-general] Daily digest v1.8030 (22 messages)
Date: 2008-03-31 17:38:04
Lists: pgsql-general

"Brett Hoerner" <bretthoerner(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Colin Wetherbee <cww(at)denterprises(dot)org> wrote:
>> I received eight of these unwanted digests last night and early this
>> morning, after never seeing them before. Is this a new configuration
>> change that I need to go personalize?

> I was wondering the same thing, but don't see an option regarding digests...

Did you look closely at the Received: history of the messages?

We occasionally get incidents where someone's broken mail software
regurgitates delayed copies of list mail, either back to the list
daemon (which is usually successful at recognizing duplicates, but
not always) or directly to people named in the From: or To: or CC:
lines of the mail. To no one's surprise, the mail software that
does this is invariably Microsoft's.

Regurgitating list mail is grounds for ejection from the lists,
if we can figure out who's doing it (it will probably not surprise you
to learn that M$' broken software often makes it hard to figure out
which list subscriber is responsible).

If you get multiple duplicates, and their headers show that they
went through some unexpected places between postgresql.org and you,
send 'em to the list owner (eg, pgsql-general-owner at postgresql.org)
for possible action.