Re: effective_cache_size vs units

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_cache_size vs units
Date: 2006-12-20 00:16:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Perhaps it would be more effective to clarify the error message? Right
> now it just says something to the effect of "invalid integer". I'd
> imagine "invalid memory unit: TB" would be less confusing.

+1 on that, but I think we should just accept the strings
case-insensitively, too. SQL in general is not case sensitive for
keywords, and neither is anything else in the postgresql.conf file,
so I argue it's inconsistent to be strict about the case for units.

Nor do I believe that we'd ever accept a future patch that made
the distinction between "kb" and "kB" significant --- if you think
people are confused now, just imagine what would happen then.