Re: effective_cache_size vs units

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_cache_size vs units
Date: 2006-12-20 01:33:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> +1 on that, but I think we should just accept the strings
> case-insensitively, too.

I think if we'd allow this to spread, documentation, example files and
other material would use it inconsistently, and even more people would
be confused and it would make us look silly.

It's not like anyone has pointed out a real use case here. The default
file has the units already, so it's not like they're hard to guess.
And Magnus's issue was that the error message was confusing. So let's
fix that.

--
Peter Eisentraut