Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date: 2002-06-08 15:48:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Also, it seems Win32 doesn't need these scripts, except initdb.

> The utility of these programs is independent of the platform. If we think
> pg_dumpall is not useful, then let's remove it.

I have been seriously considering converting pg_dumpall to C anyway,
because it's already *very* messy, and I don't see any reasonable
way to make it support dumping per-database and per-user config
settings. (Do you really want to try to parse array values in a
shell script?)

(I'd actually consider making pg_dumpall a part of the pg_dump
executable; then it could invoke pg_dump as a subroutine call...)

If Peter's got the time/energy to convert 'em all, I'm for it.